Friday, May 21, 2010

New Prudent Man Agate Cabochons

Look at what I snagged!
I found a lapidary artist who had a number of these cabs and I picked as many as I could up. (The name of his site is L'Ochsner.  It's a brand new shop - I think I was his first customer!) And I also found one cab by Artcabs on Etsy.  I'm so excited and can't wait to set them!

If you read my earlier post, I wrote about how much I love this agate but that it seems to be harder to find than before.  Info I found on the internet claimed that the mine was CLOSED and there was no new rock to be had.

Well I got an email from someone who really knows about this agate, Terry from LostSierra.  (Check out his Etsy shop.  He cuts great cabs which I've been trying to resist buying, very unsuccessfully.)

Terry states:
"The info in your blog about the Prudent Man is incorrect. I happened to live most of my life quite close to the mine...
1) Mine location: Central Idaho (Lost River Valley)
2) Status of mine: Active during summer/fall or when snow melts.
3) Owner of mine: Steve H. (Lives in Idaho Falls) know him well.
4) Vein #2: "Your Cabochon" variety is readily available.
5) Vein #1: Closed,mined out.(Highest Grade RED/SAGE color Plumes)"

First: many thanks to Terry for correcting my post.  It goes to show that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 

Second:  I envy Terry.  Can you believe living close to these wonderful mines, being able to personally collect these rocks and rough gemstones, and then being able to bring them to life!

Third: this means that I should be able to easily buy MORE or these wonderful agates.

Fourth: wow, someone actually reads my blog.


-------------------------------------

Do you want to receive my blog by email? Click here!

Would you like to be a Contrariwise Follower and see what trouble I might be up to or what I'm working on? All you have to do is click on the link on the left in my side bar.

7 Comments:

  1. KayzKreationz said...
    Those are gorgeous cabs. I love the colors, especially in #2, the 23x39. It looks like a sunset above a forest. And I love the shape of #3, the 15x40. Can't wait to see what you do with them. I have friends that live in Idaho Falls. Will have to see if they ever see any of these cabs and if they can get me some.
    Contrariwise said...
    I just updated the post with a link to the site where I bought cabs 2,3,and 4.

    http://www.lochsners.com/gallery.html
    hopestudios said...
    well i bet if you did live next to a mine and went missin, your family would know where to find you!
    Shylotus said...
    I love your blog!
    Split Rock Ranch said...
    Those are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you make with them.

    Thank you for hosting my Entrecard ad!
    Contrariwise said...
    HopeStudios: I like to wander enough as it is. If I lived anywhere near an area like that, I could disappear for days!

    SubversiveHippy: Why thank you very much! (And,btw, I love your name.)
    Hot Rocks said...
    I love druzy, it is so pretty and sparkly. Your ring is stunning, so feminine!

Post a Comment