Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Every time I list a new ring in my shop, I get emails from people that want the ring in a different size.  Unfortunately, it's not usually possible to resize the ring, and since the stones are one-of-a-kind, a can't make an identical ring.


So I decided to try something new for my shop.  I now have a listing that offers cabs that will be incorporated in a custom ring for the buyer.

I don't know how well this will work, but I thought I'd give it a try.

In this first attempt, I tried to select cabs that are as different as possible from each other:  I have a druzy, a labradorite, a mookaite, a Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper, and a Priday Plume agate.  All of them are gorgeous, and each would make a lovely ring.  (I personally can't pick a favorite.)

Do you know what will be the hardest part?  It will be waiting for someone to claim the cabs and NOT setting these stones right away.

For example, I just got the yellow and red mookaite in the mail yesterday, and it's like a juicy piece of candy.  I'm dying to set it in a sleek and modern design. And I almost started setting the Priday Plume agate last weekend.

Oh well, it's not like I don't have any other cabs in my collection that I can work with.  I'm at the point that I have to commit to STOP buying more cabs.   (At least, that's what I say to myself every time I can't resist a new cabochon.  I promise myself that that'll be the last purchase for a while.  Ha!)

You can find this listing here, in my Etsy shop.  There are more details about these cabs in my shop listing.



-------------------------------------

Do you want to receive my blog by email? Click here!

Would you like to be a Contrariwise Follower and see what trouble I might be up to or what I'm working on? All you have to do is click on the link on the left in my side bar.

9 Comments:

  1. hopestudios said...
    i think that's a fabulous idea! it just is so hard to choose! i love each one for different reasons and could just imagine the designs you would create.
    Mani on a Budget said...
    I agree. Great idea! And I can definitely relate to the "last purchase for a while" mantra ;)
    Virginia said...
    Excellent idea. I see three stones that I covet already. ;) I will refer my husband to this page and your shop so he can plan for my birthday well in advance!
    lynn bowes said...
    Oh I feel your pain! I have boxes of cabs and rough slabs in my shop and cannot seem to stay away from gem and mineral shows! I do hope your offering of stones for custom sizing rings works - it's a pain to resize, that's for sure :: lynn
    Nemesis Jewelry said...
    It's a super idea! I have a section on flickr for stones for custom orders. And it is hard to leave them and not set them.

    Ha ha - I know the feeling of trying to resist the lure of shiny, pretty cabochons. Especially if they are designer cabs that you will never see again!!

    I am currently waiting (anxiously!) for a bunch of Pirana Agate to arrive in the mail. sigh!

    Your stuff is beautiful!!!
    Contrariwise said...
    Thanks.

    I know I have more than enough cabs, but there's a big gem and mineral show in a few weeks and I don't know how I'm going to have enough self-control to avoid it.
    KayzKreationz said...
    I love that jasper and that agate. But I would want them as a pendant. They are both gorgeous. Great idea to try.
    Contrariwise said...
    I'm so excited! This listing has sold. Someone wants me to make a custom ring already! It's the labradorite. (And a GREAT stone, I might add. The flash on it is spectacular.) I'll definitely let you know how this one turns out.
    hopestudios said...
    yay! they will LOVE it! congrats!

Post a Comment