Friday, April 11, 2008

Crafts, tutorials...

Bezel setting stones
I recently learned how to bezel set and had been thinking about setting some sea glass that I've been saving for this very purpose- but I'm not very experienced yet. So when I found this amazing tutorial that Barb Macy from Accent Yourself Handcrafted Jewelry had created, I was so greatful. It shows you step-by-step how to bezel-set a piece of sea glass.

(BTW, Accent Yourself has sea glass and other wonderful jewelry in her Etsy shop.

This has got to be one of the best and most complete tutorials I've ever seen. I can't believe the details and the photos that she used to create it.

Now all I've got to do is convince my husband that I can be trusted with a propane torch!


Wire-wrapping

If you've ever wanted to learn how to make a wire-wrapped ring, here's a great tutorial with good photos.

Impress your friends! When people ask where you got it, you can say, "I made it!" and everyone will gasp in amazement!

The most important think you will need is a ring-making mandrel. Most online suppliers carry them. I got mine at Thunderbird supply. That's what I used to make these rings you see here. (I suggest you get a metal mandrel rather than the cheaper plastic model. Its more durable and will let you use a mallet when necessary.




...and more!

Breakfast cereals that would disturb today's youth

In the golden age of breakfast cereal, manufacturers weren't wasting their time promoting health benefits or movie-marketing tie-ins.

Back then, it was all about combining sugar, grain, fructose syrup, and corn, and topping it all with a little powdered sugar. Basically, breakfast cereal was the most delicious mini-meth lab you could find in a cardboard box.

Add a few psychedelic monsters on the front with some purple marshmallows inside, and you had the recipe for a sweet breakfast addiction. I have fond memories of some of these cereals... At least the memories that weren't lost in the glucose haze.


Click here for the top 20 craziest cereals.

(And, yes, you're not imagining it. Mr Wonderful's cereal balls do have a creamy filling. )







Cuteness overload

Warning: three minutes of almost unbearable cuteness. (And make sure you havet the volume on to hear the rumble of this little kitty's purring.)






(If you'd be interesting in subscribing to my blog and receiving it by e-mail, just click Subscribe to Contrariwise ramblings by Email.)





5 Comments:

  1. maoiliosa said...
    well, you've done it. you've killed me with cute. :D
    High Desert Diva said...
    I think your Friday ramblings are my favorite....so many topics!

    Love the rings you made, especially the square one which (sadly) is not in your shop :-(
    Contrariwise said...
    I sold the square ring last night, sold one to someone at work, and I have one bead left!

    FYI, I'll be listing that last ring in my store this afternoon.

    /wish I could get more of those beads (sob)
    Angelika@ Purple Sage Designz said...
    What a great Friday post. Enjoyed reading, looking and watching:)
    Barb Macy said...
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked the tutorial. Please let me know if you ever have any questions. You can use this method for cabs, too.

Post a Comment