Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Red Creek Jasper Earrings


Here's a pair of earrings that I thought I sold but I just relisted in my shop.

I bought these cabs earlier this year and I fell in love the set you see on the right and stayed up very late making the mountings for new earrings. I just couldn't resist working with my new purchases!

By 1 AM I'd finished 2 bezel settings and was trying to solder on some decorative bits. Then in an awkward moment, I dropped a mounting.

Awk!

I could hear it hit the concrete floor of my garage. A quick search didn't lead me to find anything -other than the realization that I really should clean under my soldering station. So I got a flashlight and searched everywhere!

Drat! I couldn't find it. Half an hour later, I gave up, thinking I could look more thoroughly after a good night's sleep.

The next morning, I must have spend over an hour searching for the missing mounting, and cleaning up in the garage as I went along . There was all kinds of crap under my soldering table - boxes from purchases, plastic bags, chemicals, stored stuff I might use some day - but no more.

I didn't want to give up. I'd spent too much time on the setting -as well as the time I spent searching for it- and it had to be somewhere.

After going through every inch of the floor, through the trash, underneath the cars, I decided to search my trash can once again. Maybe in my frenzy it got thrown away with the trash.

I looked through it, unfolding the little bits of paper and small plastic bags I'd crumbled and thrown away. Then finally, when opening up an old plastic bag, something fell out and I heard the sound of metal hitting the floor. THERE IT WAS!

Yes, now I could finish those earrings. FINALLY.

And here there are!

I'm pretty pleased with how these earrings turned out. They're different than anything I've ever made before. The stones are bezel-set with a decorative "frame" around the bezels. I also antiqued the silver to highlight the stones and the settings. These earrings have a real hand-crafted artsy look to them.

They not demure little earrings. At about an inch and 1/4 in height, they're are large and make quite a statement. The photo on the left gives you some idea of the perspective.



Do you want to subscribe to my blog by email? Click here!.
Would you like to be a Contrariwise follower? (I love having more friends!) All you have to do is click on the link on the left in my side bar.

4 Comments:

  1. Hot Rocks said...
    Stunningly beautiful earrings!
    Anonymous said...
    Gorgeous earrings; love those stones.
    I didn't realize you were a Hoosier - so am I - Evansville. We will be rooting for the Colts also.
    Contrariwise said...
    Sassyglass,
    Not a native hoosier. But I've lived here for about 25 years over 2 separate occasions. 15 years followed by 4 years in Maryland. And now again for about 10 years.

    I guess that makes me a Born-again Hoosier.

    :-)
    Baroness Bijoutery said...
    Stunning Earrings..Glad you found you setting...Generally when I come up missing a piece from the shop..my cat has gone south with it..Bitzy thinks everything is a toy and just for her...She has been ban from the shop for awhile now..I still have found the one earring she took off with a few months ago..She hides things so well..:)

Post a Comment