Thursday, May 15, 2008

When I was little, my father used to tell me stories about the many places he traveled to when he fought in World War II.

Orginally part of the Polish army, he was imprisoned in a concentration camp in Siberia, was released and fought in a tank for the British forces in Africa against Rommel. He also fought in Italy and in France and who knows where else.

He saw the pyramids, the deserts, religious sites in the middle east (now Israel), famous places in Europe.



He traveled so much that, after the war, he no longer wanted to go much of anywhere. When I was little, we never went anywhere on vacation. So I never got to see much of the US or any foreign countries.

That changed once I got married and joined the workforce. It used to be that people had to join the army to see the world. Now all you have to do is join corporate America. I've been to Europe too many times to count, Australia, Japan, and I've forgotten all the cities I've visited in the United States.
Saturday I leave for Barcelona. It's only the 2nd time I've been to Spain. I'll be there for a week. (As always, if I have spare time, I'll look for bead shops and try to find some unique stuff. Oh and some sightseeing too!)
Just for fun, I plotted all the places I've been to on business trips in google maps. Here's what I came up with, just for Europe. (Some of the cities I've been to multiple times.)

european travel
If you want to see the rest of the places I've been to, or more details, here's a link to my google map.
Oh, and I do plan to be posting next week from Spain!



(If you'd be interesting in subscribing to my blog and receiving it by e-mail, just click Subscribe to Contrariwise ramblings by Email.)

5 Comments:

  1. Rosebud Collection said...
    What an interesting blog..Isn't it funny..My grandfather was a sharp shooter in the Polish army, though I think it actually was Russian.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy..
    High Desert Diva said...
    I know the travel must get monotonous, but to someone who has never been to Europe, getting there on the company's dime sounds too good to be true!
    Jo said...
    Hope you have a wonderful time in Barcelona! We've been there 3 times and still haven't seen everything the city has to offer. Luckily for us, the UK is just a little bit closer to Barcelona than the US!
    I've just listed some of the bead shops in Barcelona on my blog (www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com) if you're interested.
    Contrariwise said...
    jo,
    Thanks! I'm going to check your blog for those bead shops.
    (Sounds like a good topic for a future blog, too.)
    Jo said...
    Make sure you show us what you buy! If you see the massive jade buddha in the window of one of the bead shops in the Gothis quarter take a photo - I forgot to!

Post a Comment