Monday, April 26, 2010

Creating each piece of new jewelry is a unique experience.  Sometimes a design comes from seemingly nowhere and almost creates itself, and sometimes the entire process is a struggle.  This necklace has definitely been the latter.

I bought this stone almost 2 years ago.  It was in a pile of tourmalated quartz cabs.  I picked it up because I liked it and it was different than most of the other cabs.  (Honestly, I'm not sure that it's tourmalated quartz.  Any thoughts out there on what it might be?)

Two years ago I was just starting to learn how to solder and set cabs.  So I when I initially created the bezel for this stone, I was really disappointed.  It was a great stone but it looked so boring and I didn't have the skills to do anything to help enhance it.  So I threw it into a box of silver scraps and half-finished works.

About 6 months ago I took it out again and started playing with it.  I drew a lot of sketches and eventually decided on the details - leaves, flowers, a bail that curves behind the stone, and an assymetrical hand-made clasp.

But even after I finished the necklace, it still proved to be obstinate!  I've spent several session trying to photograph it, and I still haven't been able to capture the unique patterns within the stone.  So far the photo of the necklace sitting in my hand is the closest to what the cab looks like in person.

If you want to see more photos, they can be found here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want to receive my blog by email? Click here!

Would you like to be a Contrariwise follower and see what I'm up to? All you have to do is click on the link on the left in my side bar.

5 Comments:

  1. hopestudios said...
    it reminds me of clouds around a mountaintop. nice details with the notches. i can't believe you've only been doing this for 2 years!
    Contrariwise said...
    Thanks! In fact, I just double checked my facts. I learned to solder in a class I took in April 2008. So it's been EXACTLY 2 years.

    I even wrote about it in this blog: http://akacontrariwise.blogspot.com/2008/04/silversmithing-class.html
    hopestudios said...
    that is hilarious! do you still have that piece? what a great job for your first try and look how intricate your pieces are now. you saw curves like aj foyt!
    Contrariwise said...
    Never thought of it that way, but you're right. My first effort at setting a stone was a piece of $HIT.

    Literally.

    Yes, I still have that pendant. No way am I selling the first piece of "cr#p" I made! !!

    (No, I'm not meaning to offend my readers, but if you checked the post, you'd know that the first cabochon I set was a coprolite. Also known as dinosaur poo.)
    The Fitness Diva said...
    Gorgeous! I've never seen such unique pieces as you have. It's amazing what you are able to turn these stones into! ;)

Post a Comment