Friday, October 17, 2008

Crafts, Tutorials...
There was an amazing response from last week's recycling/green tutorial on repurposing trash bags into useful items like totebags or throw rugs. So I thought I would focus on a couple more GREEN tutorials this week.

Autumn Bouquet made from Maple Leaves

Photobucket
I think it's close to the peak for the fall foliage season, so this craft is very timely. Doesn't this look amazing.

I've summarized the instructions below. Yes, there's a lot of steps, but they're really easy to follow and you won't even need the instructions after your 1st couple of roses. (Just remember to use leaves that are not too dry.)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

via

Don't you think single or small groups of roses would look great incorporated into a fall wreath.


Fairy Lights
Photobucket
These lights are made from recycled cardboard cups. They can be enhanced with feathers, paper, cardboard cones or...egg carton cups! You can hang your fairy lights in a dark area, over a mirror or above a bed for a cozy, warm effect.


They're made from egg cartons - which are made from recycled paper already! For the entire tutorial, visit Esprit Cabane.


....And more

How Many of Me?
Photobucket
I think this is absolutely fascinating. To find out how many people have your name, click here.

(I found out that there are only 94 people in the US with the same exact name as mine.)

Some suggestions based upon what other people are searching for:

Your name: The first suggestion is right in the site name. How many people have your name?
Relatives: Search through your family tree. Search the names of your parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or anyone else related to you.
Nicknames: Does your name not have many (or any) results? If you're using a shortened form of your name (like Will, or Bill), you may get fewer results than you expect. Try using your full name (such as William).
Baby Names: Is little Junior on the way and you want to make sure he (or she) isn't stuck with the same name as 5 other kids when he gets to preschool? Try the names out here, see how many results you get.


And if you'd be interesting in subscribing to my blog and receiving it by e-mail, just click Subscribe to Contrariwise ramblings by Email. Otherwise, Blogger now has an option to be a blog follower. Just click on the link in the upper right corner of my blog.

When wedding vows go horribly wrong
I don't need to say anything. Just watch the video.

11 Comments:

  1. Cathe Holden said...
    Wow, that was quite an action packed post!! Love the bouquet, I'm the only one in the country with my name, I think the bride/pastor splash was a conspiricy, and I have to make those darling string lights!!

    Nice work!
    Gillian said...
    How amazing is that bouquet!
    I would never have guessed the flowers were made of Maple leaves.
    Jo said...
    Oh that poor bride! I wonder what happened next....
    Morrgan said...
    I had to send a link of that maple leaf tutorial to my mom, I know she'll be happy with a new idea for all the maple leaves they end up with every autumn. ;)
    High Desert Diva said...
    Only one other Charmaine Manley, but 16799 people with my first name...a lot more than I would have thought. Very interesting.

    I like the maple/flower tutorial.

    Have a great weekend.
    Katrin said...
    Beautiful leave tutorial! Can't wait to do this with my little Lilly today!
    Unknown said...
    Wow great post, I love when a whole bunch of random things com together into one complete posting (as evidenced by my blogs lol)

    So on the name thing
    There are 1,423,316 people in the U.S. with the first name Jennifer.
    Statistically the 21st most popular first name.
    More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Jennifer are female.

    When I do my full name there are only 4.

    That video was insane lol

    Love the leaf roses, might have to try that one out! Nice to discover your blog :)
    OvertheTop said...
    That video is fantastic. :D

    Love the egg carton fairy lights - it would be doable in my apt. if I weren't so outlet-challenged. :(

    I'm happy to say that there is only one of me, although my SIL has almost my name.
    Learning Spanish at 41 said...
    What a great project!
    Uneekdolldesigns said...
    Enjoyed your post, the fall bouquet is fabulous! Too bad I live in a part of Illinois that has no trees!
    Contrariwise said...
    No trees!?

    Wow, you must live on farmland. Surely there's a park nearby.

    I just got back from a business trip last night. My daughter and I are going to go and get a whole bunch of maple leaves today and try this.

    I can't wait!

Post a Comment